Welcome to Scioto County Daily News (SCDN). We’re a local news organization focused on bringing the most relevant, local news and events to Scioto County and our neighboring communities. Our coverage includes breaking news and events as well as many of the great things members of the community are doing to help our area recover from the challenges we’ve faced in recent years.
Report without bias. Tell the truth without compromise. Serve our community quickly, with positivity and accuracy.
Scioto County, Ohio, is my home. I was born and raised here. I share with you many memories of Portsmouth, Dreamland, Skatelan, downtown, cruising, River Days, boat races, fireworks, Marting’s, and going to church every time the doors were open. As a proud Eagle Scout from Troop 43 in Friendship, Ohio, the wonderful resources of our Shawnee Forest and the amazing river system still rank at the top of my “memory reel”.
Like many, I went on adventures and lived in other areas. Over the years, I saw the narrative about our town begin to change. When I visited, the faces looked different. For a time, it fed the theory that I was better off in another town. Then, life dealt me a serious setback. I returned home for family support, advocacy, and health care.
Although my body sometimes doesn’t cooperate, my passion and drive remain intact. We’re now experiencing an uptick in progress. Apathy is no longer the order of the day. There is a chance to add a voice to the murmurs. With this site, I want the citizens’ voices to be heard loud and clear–and you’ve responded by the tens of thousands.
With your participation, SCDN has become the largest media outlet in the history of Southern Ohio. You did that, not me, and I am forever grateful. We will continue to grow, we will continue to thrive. #CHOOSEYOURPORTSMOUTH
-Mark Craycraft, Publisher
- Mark CraycraftAfter a long career in training and education, Mr. Craycraft spends his "new normal" maintaining his passion to inform. He loves to find creative ways...
- Betty SmithLive Reporter, Photographer, Videographer, Marketing & Advertising Love to get the story and go Live. Reporting true content that relates to ...
- Cyn MackleyCyn Mackley is a television and web producer, tech journalist, and Trojan for life who sometimes turns the interesting things she's seen in the newsro...
- Dale PowellI hold a bachelor's degree from Ohio University, a Masters's Degree from East Tennessee State University and post-graduate work at the University of P...
- Emily MarvinSocial Media Moderator. Emily has been with us for about 2 years. We appreciate her dedication to the community and our vision for the content.
- Evan GreenEvan Green is a young reporter from West Portsmouth, Ohio who is very dedicated to providing Scioto County with up-to-date and relevant journalism.
- Kayla KeenaKayla is a writer, artist, and designer from the Chicagoland area. She incorporates her creativity to produce work that is informative and thought-pro...
- Ross MadisonOriginally from Maysville, Ky, I moved to Scioto County in 2014. Deemed "Non-Essential" and laid off during the pandemic. Happy to have found a new ho...
- Ashtha SinghYoung Adult commentary. Ashtha is currently a journalism student and we are happy to have her perspective on our platform. Big things are in her future. We want to help be the springboard.
- Dr, Barbara ColeBarbara Cole, Ph.D. is a native of Ohio and has worked around the world. She loves startups, developing countries, food, drink, sunshine, beautiful spaces, and reading when not writing. Dr. Cole managed programs for McGraw-Hill’s testing company. She has taught in Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Ecuador, and throughout China.
- Dr. Melissa MartinMelissa Martin, Ph.D., is an opinion-editorial columnist. She lives in Scioto County
ADVERTISE WITH US
Thank you for considering SCDN to help grow your business. We are the largest online community in Southern Ohio and have custom advertising solutions to fit your needs. To speak with a sales representative, please contact us.