Portsmouth students are back in class this fall but their schedule looks a lot different. Plus, Portsmouth City Schools announced that most kids are required to wear masks or be sent home. There’s also an online option if you don’t feel safe sending kids into the school building. Here’s what you need to know:
Schedules May Change
The first day of school for students is Monday, August 31. Staff are scheduled to report Monday, August 17. The daily schedule is based on the Health Alert Level of the County. Currently, Scioto stands at red.
Half of the students attend in-person class on Mondays and Tuesday and participate online for the rest of the week.
The other half will come to school on Thursday and Friday and take online classes on other days.
Wednesday is reserved for deep cleaning of buildings and buses.
Should the alert level drop, students attend class in person on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
On Wednesday the buildings and buses get a deep cleaning while staff attends meetings and professional development courses. They will also provide online instruction.
If the alert level in Scioto County rises to the Purple, all learning will be virtual
Charged and Ready
Each student gets a Chromebook to use at home and at school. Kids must bring the Chromebook charged and ready to school each day.
- Students in grades 3-12 must wear masks. Those who refuse will be sent home or placed in the Trojan Virtual Academy. Preschool students through second grade are encouraged to wear masks.
- Masks are required on the bus. Temperatures will be checked before getting on the bus.
- All staff will wear masks or face shields.
- There are exceptions for students with medical issues. You will have to provide medical documentation to the school.
- The school assures parents that classroom size is scheduled to meet social distancing requirements.
- Hand sanitizer and hand washing stations are provided in each classroom.
- Students will not share classroom supplies. Supplies are sanitized after each use.
- Students will not change clothes for physical education during school.
- Cafeterias are kept below 50% occupancy. Meal times are staggered.
The Trojan Virtual Academy is provided for parents who prefer not to send kids to school. Notify your child’s school principal by August 7th if you want to participate.
You can switch from online to in-classroom learning at the end of each grading period with three weeks’ notice to the school.