Portsmouth Police rode to the rescue multiple times on Wednesday. They assisted the elderly, the intoxicated, and even helped set free a woman who claimed she was held prisoner in the bathroom at Kroger. We’ve got the highlights in these 16 slides. If you’d like the full story, sign up to be a VIP member of SCND. Click here to learn how it works.
Under the Influence
- Officers received a report just after 1 am of a man lying on a porch on 8th Street. He appeared to have overdosed. He was transported by ambulance to SOMC.
- A report just before 8 am of a man leaning against the steering wheel near an exit ramp of US 52 turned out to be a man with a flat tire. Police sent for a tow truck.
- Police were called to Robinson Avenue around 6:30 pm for a report of two men who had overdosed in a driveway. One man was gone by the time police arrived. The other man refused treatment.
- A man called police at 7:30 pm to report a skinny woman who appeared to be high had asked him if he wanted to have a good time near the corner of Kendall and 17th.
- Police were called to the alley behind Port City Pub for a report of a drunk, belligerent man. He was transported to SOMC.
- Just before 10 pm, a woman called police to report her husband was drunk and riding his Harley to Oak Hill. He’d also threatened to kill her and her daughter. She refused to give a statement to the police.
- At 11:30 pm, a woman called police to Hudson House to say she’d been drugged and wanted to go to the hospital. Portsmouth Fire Department handled the call.
- Just a few moments later someone else called 911 from Hudson House and threatened to hurt himself before hanging up. He was transported to the hospital by ambulance.
Elder in Danger?
- Police were called to check on a Chillicothe Street woman just after 9 am.
- A caseworker informed them a woman’s adult daughter had attempted to hit her with a Bible.
- The woman told police she was okay.
Officers were called to 2nd Street just after 9:35 am to help a woman who’d fallen from her wheelchair.
We’ve Got Another Room Ready For You
An employee of the Four Keys Inn called police just before 10 am. The motel wanted some people to get out of a room.
Turns out one of the people had an active warrant through adult parole.
Jake Liles was transported to the Scioto County Jail.
Kids In Danger
- Police got a call from CPS for some assistance at 9:51 am.
- They were attempting to do a welfare check on some children on 7th Street.
- A man took off in a vehicle.
A Whole Lot Of Yelling
- Police were called to Summit Street for a report of a woman yelling for help just before 11 am.
- When police arrived, they found a man with three kids in the apartment. He allowed officers to search the place. He said he was yelling at the children because they weren’t listening.
- Police saw no signs of abuse.
- Ten minutes later, they were called back out because the man was allegedly yelling at the original caller.
- Officers advised all parties that name-calling is not necessary.
- Just before 1:30 pm, a worried niece called officers to 21st street to check on her aunt.
- The woman serves as the aunt’s home care worker and was worried when her aunt didn’t answer the door.
- It turned out the woman’s daughter had taken her to visit her sister and forgotten to notify the niece. Everyone was fine.
Dollar Tree Dilemma
A caller notified officers that she thought she gave too much money to the cashier at the Dollar Tree.
She told police she had to go to work and would call back later.
Can You Spare A Buck?
Officers were called to the AT & T Wireless on Gallia for a report of two men in the parking lot bumming money. One man was described as shirtless with a blonde Mohawk. They were gone when officers arrived.
- Officers were called to the Dialysis Center on 17th Street to assist a patient who didn’t seem to be himself.
- He refused treatment, despite his doctor and his wife telling him he needed to go to the emergency room.
- After an officer spoke to the man, he accepted assistance to get out of his wheelchair and onto the ambulance cot.
- He was transported to SOMC.
A missing persons report was wrapped up in record time just after 3 pm. A woman called officers from Hudson House to report her sister and niece missing at 3:20 pm.
By 3:36 pm, the pair were located on Poplar Street.
Man With Knife
Officers were called to Wayne Avenue just after 5 pm for a report of a man threatening people with knives and a machete.
He was gone when police arrived.
He Really Wants His Mom
Several police cars responded to a report of a man who showed up at a rehabilitation facility with a 9 mm pistol.
He was angry because employees would not allow him to see his mother.
Stay Out of the Road
Police were called to Valley Street at 8:30 pm for a report of kids riding their bikes in the street.
The officer found one little boy riding his bike on the sidewalk. He was advised to keep riding it there.
Held Prisoner At Kroger?
- At 10:40 pm a woman called the police and said she was being held against her will in the bathroom at Kroger by a group of women.
- She claimed she called family members for help and when they arrived, the group of women scattered.
- When police investigated further, they discovered she was hiding in the bathroom from some people she didn’t want to see.
Trapped by Dogs
- A Milldale Road resident called to report that the neighbor’s dogs had trapped them in the house.
- Officers were unable to wake the owner and couldn’t get the dogs to leave.
- However, the resident was able to leave the house while an officer stood by. Animal Control was notified.